[meteorite-list] Ad: Duruma, Kenya 1853

bigjohnshea at mail.com bigjohnshea at mail.com
Sun Jul 17 13:32:12 EDT 2022

Fellow Collectors,
Hope you are all well.

Available today is a true rarity, a 0.97g specimen of the Duruma meteorite, a witnessed fall from 1853 in Kenya. It fell not far from a few boys of the Duruma tribe, and was subsequently worshipped within their culture, resting on an alter for years after.

In 1856 the Duruma tribe was largely slaughtered by the neighboring Masaii tribe. Understandably, they lost faith in the meteorite's ability to benefit them. It was subsequently sold to German missionaries in the area and transported to Munich. It was cut, and the main mass was on display at the Munich museum in 1942 when the British bombed the area, destroying the museum and the main mass with it. Roughly 50g of Duruma are documented in institutional collections.

I know of only one other private collector who has a specimen of Duruma. That specimen, and this one, both have an origin point from Australian merchant Bob Walker (who died in the 1990's) and received it via an institutional trade. That specimen was subsequently acquired by Russ Kempton, and was cut into two specimens. One was sold to John Schooler decades ago, who later sold his specimen to me when he retired from collecting. I have since acquired this remaining 0.97g specimen from Russ, and sold John Schooler's specimen to another private collector.

This specimen is thought of by some as the Holy Grail of worshipped meteorites. It will come with provenance from Russ Kempton as well as myself. I have visually paired it with the two specimens in the Vienna museum.

See photos at the following links:
https://ibb.co/5KvfsL6
https://ibb.co/d50gS3Q
https://ibb.co/Sf8qb2s
https://ibb.co/Lvq6sh2

Please contact me privately for additional details.

Cheers!
John A. Shea, MD
IMCA 3295