[meteorite-list] Guest Lecture: Our Meteorite Community: How a Unique Symbiosis Expands our Knowledge of Meteoritics and Planetary Science

Mendy Ouzillou mendy.ouzillou at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 12:10:28 EDT 2022

I am honored to announce that I will be a guest lecturer this coming Sunday
for the "UCLA Meteorite Gallery Lecture Series." These lectures are always
super informative and cater to everyone who has an interest in meteorites. I
certainly hope to follow in the footsteps of those before me.

Title: Our Meteorite Community: How a Unique Symbiosis Expands our Knowledge
of Meteoritics and Planetary Science
Registration:
https://ucla.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEqduyupj0vGd3S0_52FsbHTbPjYr0sZQUj
When: 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Pacific Time on July 17th, 2022

Abstract: Meteorites represent one of the most unique collectables in our
solar system, and not just for their "out of this world" origins. Their
ability to be subdivided and still maintain scientific and monetary value
forms the basis of the unique symbiosis that exists between the
scientist/researcher/curator and the hunter/dealer/collector communities.
For this relationship to expand and strengthen requires not only care but
understanding as well.
This presentation will provide insights into how meteorites are brought to
market and science, the positive roles of hunters, dealers and collectors in
the advancement of science, and the motivations driving the various parties
along the chains of custody. The goal of the presentation is to increase
mutual respect and understanding by addressing complex issues impacting our
communities so that we may work more closely together.

Regards to all,

Mendy Ouzillou