[meteorite-list] Great Salt Lake meteorite fall, 13 Aug 2022

Fries, Marc D. (JSC-XI211) marc.d.fries at nasa.gov
Sat Aug 27 11:27:54 EDT 2022

After a series of computer-based misadventures, I have (finally) posted a NASA Meteorite Falls page for the Salt Lake City meteorite fall:

https://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/meteorite-falls/

To date more than a dozen meteorites have been recovered.  To the best of my knowledge they were all on the western shore of the Great Salt Lake, but it appears some smaller meteorites may also be found on the eastern shore quite close to Salt Lake City. The meteorites recovered to date have trended to masses in the hundreds of grams.

Be very careful hunting this fall.  The ground is recently-exposed lake floor and is soft and wet. Temperatures are high and there are no drinkable water sources. People have reported getting trucks and off-road vehicles stuck, and it is a long walk to the nearest road. Use good desert survival practices and bring lots of water. Sources such as the National Park Service can be of use in planning a safe trek:

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/healthandsafety/trip-planning-guide.htm

Feel free to contact me with any questions about this event - marc.d.fries at nasa.gov

Cheers,
Marc