[meteorite-list] Meteorite Fall observed - Natchez MS 27 April 2022

Fries, Marc D. (JSC-XI211) marc.d.fries at nasa.gov
Sat Apr 30 00:56:39 EDT 2022

A remarkable meteorite fall has occurred east of Natchez MS.  This event was widely reported in media because loud sonic booms were reported over a wide area.  This was a daytime fireball and a single video (as far as I know) has emerged on Twitter.

Weather radar records a nearly vertical column of falling meteorites, seen in at least eleven radar sweeps in at least four separate radars.

https://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/meteorite-falls/

It is currently the front page item for the NASA Meteorite Falls page.  At present no meteorites have been recovered to my knowledge, but I assign a high certainty that meteorites have fallen.

Cheers,
Marc Fries