[meteorite-list] NJ 13 Nov 2021 bolide - possible FALL

Fries, Marc D. (JSC-XI211) marc.d.fries at nasa.gov
Mon Nov 15 14:11:17 EST 2021

Howdy all

	I have found some interesting radar returns associated with the New Jersey daytime bolide on 13 Nov 2021.  I am sending this email as advance notice that more information is coming, and to give as much time as possible for others to start looking into the data.  This is AMS event number 7611 for 2021:

https://fireballs.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2021/7611

	I believe the ground track in the AMS report is incorrect for two reasons.  One, if you look at the highest-confidence eyewitness reports with directions turned on, you'll see that they are reporting a ground track much further to the south.  Two, if this event followed the AMS ground track then there should have been many reports of sound in the NJ/NY area.  There are none.

	Also, go look at "NASA Meteor Watch" on Facebook.  I can't link to it here but they report a ground track much further south, terminating near Cape May, NJ.

      	I found some very interesting radar returns near Cape May, THEN looked at NASA Meteor Watch and found their ground track bullseyes the radar returns.

  	Furthermore, NASA Meteor Watch reports that this bolide matches the expected speed and direction for a body originating from the Taurid meteor shower which is currently active.  These bodies originate from Comet Encke.  Therefore, this event may be a cometary-origin meteorite fall, from a known comet no less.

	At this point I have found signatures in data from two different radars.  I'm taking the unusual step of stopping my own analysis long enough to spread this word.  If you work with video, radar, seismometer data, or any other form of meteorite fall research, I suggest you look closely at this event and let's start a discussion.

 	Back to the data...   I will put up a web page on this event on NASA ARES' website ASAP.

Cheers,
Marc Fries