[meteorite-list] Beware misrepresented Sericho on eBay

Galactic Stone & Ironworks meteoritemike at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 09:04:33 EDT 2021

Hi Listees,

If you see thin-sliced Sericho that is clear-coated on eBay, beware.
There are several (?) sellers on eBay offering nice-looking Sericho
pieces that allow light to pass through the crystals, and the
specimens have been clear-coated with an acrylic-type substance.

The listings are all very similar, use similar wording and have
similar photos, but are being offered by multiple sellers.

The misrepresentation is the location of the seller. The seller claims
to be inside the US and says the item will be shipped from the US.
This is not true. These sellers are located in China and ship from
China. Their claim of shipping from the US is a lie.

Before you are tempted to buy one of these specimens, contact the
seller and verify that the item will be shipped from the US. If the
seller does not reply at all, that is a sign that the seller is lying.
I tried contacting two of them this week and asked them to confirm
their shipping location and both sellers ignored my messages.

Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem buying a specimen from China if
the seller was honest. But, lying right from the get go is not good
sales practice and would make me suspicious about other aspects of
their offerings.

Best regards,

MikeG