[meteorite-list] Fake Black Beauty on eBay (and others)

Galactic Stone & Ironworks meteoritemike at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 08:28:39 EST 2021

I've been seeing a lot of this lately. Hijacked NWA numbers being used
to sell bogus rocks.

The sellers usually have a zero feedback (or low number) and the item
descriptions are usually just one line with very few details.

This fake Black Beauty is just the latest example. I see several
similar ones per week. Most appear to be from different sellers (or
accounts at least).

Look at this trash :

Link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare-Northwest-Africa-7034-Black-Beauty-Meteorite-4-4-Billion-Year-Old/284197312785?hash=item422b7ad911%3Ag%3Ac%7EoAAOSwkd9gN3pk&LH_BIN=1

Here is another fake with a hijacked number -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martian-Meteorite-NWA-13360-Poikilitic-Shergottite-Peridotitic-1517g-Main-mass-/303898461240?hash=item46c1c28438%3Ag%3AmIwAAOSwK21gNzgl&nma=true&si=8jFRgR%252FCNHlFfOHRbsIc0t2TiWA%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This seller took down the listing last night - I'm not sure why. I'm
also seeing a lot of fake unclassifieds. eBay seems to go through
phases with this, and it appears we are in the midst of another active
phase for the scammers.