[meteorite-list] Ad: Uwet, Nigeria 1825

M come Meteorite Meteorites mcomemeteorite2004 at yahoo.it
Wed Feb 10 06:28:15 EST 2021

The same I have a 9.2 gr. slice in my collection buy from Twelker
Matteo

M come Meteorite Meteorites & Minerals

Email: mcomemeteorite2004 at yahoo.it
Sale Site: http://www.mcomemeteorite.it

    Il mercoledì 10 febbraio 2021, 11:25:19 CET, Bigjohn Shea via Meteorite-list <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com> ha scritto:

 Dear Fellow Collectors,
Hope you are all doing well.

Available here is a very rare specimen of the Uwet meteorite. Supposedly a witnessed fall in 1825, it was venerated as a source of prosperity by the locals for decades. It was removed temporarily by English colonists in 1903 and sent to the British Museum. As the story goes, the town of Uwet subsequently fell into devastation amidst a Smallpox plague. The locals attributed this to the removal of the meteorite, and the town is said to have prospered ever since it was returned. Less than half the 55kg mass currently resides in the village, with another ~28kg spread out over various institutions, the bulk of this in Heidelberg.

This specimen originated from a larger portion sold by Eric Twelker. Afterwards reduced by Russ Kempton. Now weighing 12.86g. It has a small inclusion and also displays an array of prismatic rhabdites which are a characteristic of Uwet.

Asking 770$ with shipping included

Please inquire for photo.

Cheers,
John A. Shea, MD