[meteorite-list] Rocks found from November Sweden event?

Steinar Midtskogen steinar at latinitas.org
Sun Feb 7 09:07:43 EST 2021

Bob Loeffler via Meteorite-list <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
writes:

> "It was very lucky that this meteorite hit the rock first," Langhof explained. "If it hits soft ground, an iron meteorite will be buried four or five metres down, and you
> won't find it afterwards. It's gone."
>
> Huh?  Sounds very fishy to me.

If an iron meteorite hits soft ground like peat, that is quite possible.
An iron meteorite weighing tens of kg or more probably wont reach
terminal velocity, so if it hits soft peat, it will be very hard to
find.

But in this case it hit a rock, then the forest ground and it should not
be buried.  Yet, no meteorite was seen.  Which leaves a likely
explanation: Somebody had already removed it and did not report it.  And
that is a sad situation, since the material found is not sufficient for
proper classification.  And the finder has a lump of iron of limited
value.

If properly confirmed as an iron meteorite, I think it will be the first
iron meteorite with known orbit.

--
Steinar