[meteorite-list] Stability of Sericho (Habaswein)

Adam Hupe raremeteorites at centurylink.net
Mon Dec 4 13:23:02 EST 2017

I have extensive experience with Pallasites having collected them since
the 1990s . My all-time favorite is Esquel.  The Esquel had a clear coat
finish applied to it and I saw one small rust spot appear.  I removed
the coating and polished it properly and it has been trouble-free ever
since.  Of course I live in the Mohave desert so humidity is not a problem.

The best advice I can give to a collector is to avoid rusters
altogether.  I learned the hard way and have lost thousands on
improperly prepared Pallasites or specimens prone to rust. I pulled one
example out of my safe several years ago and was dismayed to see that it
had disintegrated. The only thing holding it together was the clear coat
shell that prevented the crystals from popping out. The slice was
actually flexible since the metal was all but gone.  The clear coat held
it together long enough for me to throw it in a trashcan.

A good specimen should not need any coatings or treatment in my opinion.

Adam