[meteorite-list] Public Event Will Celebrate NASA Mission to Dwarf Planet Ceres

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 6 13:45:16 EDT 2015

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4573

Public Event Will Celebrate NASA Mission to Dwarf Planet Ceres
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
May 5, 2015

NASA's Dawn mission will host the flagship event for its "I C Ceres" space
festival at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena on Saturday,
May 9, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The free event is intended for all ages.

The first part of the event, an outdoor space expo, will take place at
Caltech's Beckman Auditorium Mall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Visitors can
take a tour of our solar system, with booths featuring NASA missions,
and learn how NASA communicates with spacecraft beyond Earth orbit. Live
educational stage demonstrations will take place every 30 minutes. Additional
attractions include meteorites, rover wheels and other space hardware
available to touch; virtual walks on the moon, Mars and asteroid Vesta;
and face painting. Food will be available for purchase at onsite food
trucks.

The second part of the event is a series of talks scheduled from 12:30
to 4:30 p.m. in Beckman Auditorium. The first talk, from 12:30 to 1:30
p.m., is geared for a younger audience, while the talks after 2 p.m. are
more appropriate for adults.

Speakers include:

-- Jim Green, Director, Planetary Science Division, NASA Headquarters,
Washington

-- Carol Raymond, Dawn mission deputy principal investigator, NASA's Jet
Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California

-- Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS REx mission principal investigator, University
of Arizona, Tucson

-- Claudia Alexander, U.S. Rosetta project scientist, JPL

-- Alan Stern, New Horizons mission principal investigator, Southwest
Research Institute, Boulder, Colorado

The talks, including a panel discussion about icy worlds, asteroids and
comets, will also be broadcast live via Ustream at:

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/i_c_ceres_bios.html

Other I C Ceres events are being hosted by museums, planetariums, universities
and individuals in the U.S. and abroad.