[meteorite-list] high-end collectors high-end meteorites andrareness

Stefan Ralew stefan at meteoriten.com
Tue Jun 2 10:52:41 EDT 2015

I agree. If someone falls into the category "high end collector", then it
should be David Weir. And this has nothing to do with a bank account. I know
him as a real enthusiast, and his website is endless inspiration for many
other collectors!

On the other side, I don´t like the term "high end collector" at all.
Michael F. explained us already what it means, a collector with deep pockets
who buy expensive pieces. And what are the other 95+% of meteorite
collectors? Low end collectors who buy the "crap" (btw, another word which I
don´t like to hear in conjunction with meteorites) on Ebay??

Please don´t misunderstand me, it´s totally fine with me if wealthy people
buy expensive meteorites. I´m happy for them and I´m happy when I can serve
them with my service. I know that some of them donate material to
institutions, or make their impressive collections accessible to the public,
which I find very noble. What I don´t like is to sort people into categories
depending on their wealth. Btw, my clients are mostly the same after 15
years, I still sell to meteorite collectors and institutions, small and big
collectors alike. And it still works!

Cheers,
Stefan