[meteorite-list] Huh? PhD has a Meteor? over Houston, TX?

FRIES, MARC D. (JSC-XI111) marc.d.fries at nasa.gov
Fri Jan 23 11:11:28 EST 2015

Theoretically, sure; a bolide could skip out of the atmosphere and return
on a second pass. Or at least I¹ve been told this by people who¹ve spent
more time on it than myself and I tend to believe them.  But in that case,
³slow moving² is not an option.  You would need a very fast-moving,
massive object that A) retains enough velocity to continue on after the
atmosphere slows it down, and B) has enough mass to survive the
atmospheric ablation. And I would expect it to be a mechanically tough
body, since even one fragmentation event would probably be the end of its
journey. You¹d get something more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M8LQ7_hWtE

So we¹re back to a fast object again, certainly not something that someone
can video for more than three minutes like the guy did in Houston. I¹m
certain the Houston event was an airplane.

Cheers,
Marc Fries