[meteorite-list] Magnetic fields of tetrataenite particles in pallasites shed light on earth's magnetic core

J Sinclair john at meteoriteusa.com
Thu Jan 22 12:02:58 EST 2015

That's an excellent article for better a understanding of the
pallasites plus reference to pallasites we all know - Esquel, Imilac
and Brenham.

Thanks!

John

Here is the editor's summary from Nature.

Shortly after the birth of the Solar System, small planetary bodies
became hot enough to segregate into a liquid metal core surrounded by
rocky mantle. As the core cooled and froze, swirling motions of liquid
metal, driven by the expulsion of sulphur from the growing inner core,
generated a magnetic field. A class of meteorites known as pallasites
preserves this phase of Solar System history as in the form of
gem-quality crystals of the silicate mineral olivine embedded in a
metallic matrix of iron–nickel alloy. James Bryson et al. use
high-resolution magnetic imaging of the iron–nickel matrix of the
Imilac and Esquel pallasite meteorites to derive a time-series record
of magnetic activity on the pallasite parent body, encoded within
nanoscale intergrowths of iron-rich and nickel-rich phases. This
record captures the dying moments of the magnetic field generated as
the liquid core solidified, providing evidence for a long-lasting
magnetic dynamo driven by compositional convection.