[meteorite-list] RIP - Donald C. Parker, 1939-2015

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 23 16:15:40 EST 2015

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/donald-c-parker-1939-2015/

Donald C. Parker, 1939-2015
By Sean Walker
Sky & Telescope
February 23, 2015

A planetary imaging pioneer passed away in Miami, Florida.

It is with a profound sense of loss that we announce the passing of long-time
planetary observer and Sky & Telescope contributor Donald C. Parker on
the evening of February 22, 2015. Parker was a pioneer of planetary astrophotography
and an inspiration to generations of imagers around the world.

Born in 1939, Parker was raised in Highland Park, Illinois, where he caught
the astronomy bug at a young age. He built several telescopes during the
1950s, including an 8-inch f/7.5 Newtonian reflector that was featured
in the November 1957 issue of Sky & Telescope.

Donald earned a medical degree from Northwestern University and served
as a medical officer in the United States Navy, where he conducted research
into diving physiology.

After relocating to Florida to begin a career in anesthesiology, Donald
resumed his fascination with observing the planets, particularly Mars.
He became Mars Section Coordinator for the Association of Lunar and Planetary
Observers (A.L.P.O.) in 1977. There, he became acquainted with the Lowell
Observatory astronomer Charles F. Capen, who encouraged Don to refine
his observing skills and introduced Don to advanced planetary photographic
techniques. Don quickly mastered the extensive darkroom technique of stacking
images and rose to the forefront of amateur planetary photography. In
1988 he co-authored the book "Introduction to Observing and Photographing
the Solar System" with Capen and fellow amateur Thomas A. Dobbins.

He continued to be a pioneer at the forefront of planetary observing and
imaging techniques, and played a role in developing many of the methods
used in digital planetary imaging today, as well as being credited with
the discovery of features on Mars and Jupiter. Many of his 20,000+ images
of the planets have supported professional researchers at NASA, JPL, and
other institutions.

[Photo]
Don Parker (4th from right, front row) surrounded by family and friends
at the Winter Star Party on February 18, 2015. Photo courtesy of Manuel
R. Padron.

Parker co-authored scores of papers in scientific journals, popular magazines,
and news sites worldwide, including a paper in Nature published only weeks
ago. In 1994, the International Astronomical Union named asteroid 5392
Parker in his honor for his contributions to solar system science. A frequent
speaker at amateur conventions, he delighted audiences with his colorful
and often self-deprecating humor.

As an astrophotographer myself, I had the honor of befriending Parker
more than a decade ago. We traded imaging techniques and discussed the
latest developments in camera technology and software. Parker was my inspiration
to begin imaging the planets after seeing his series of images recording
the impact scars of comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 in the cloud tops of Jupiter
in 1994. He was never guarded about his techniques and gladly shared them
with anyone who was interested. He maintained his razor-sharp intelligence,
wit, and an unfailingly kind disposition to the end. It's difficult to
convey in words just how funny and entertaining Don was. I'm certainly
going to miss our frequent conversations about the latest discoveries
in the solar system, which often focused on how amateurs contributed to
them.