[meteorite-list] Dawn Journal - September 27, 2014

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Sep 28 20:03:41 EDT 2014

http://dawnblog.jpl.nasa.gov/2014/09/27/dawn-journal-september-27/

Dawn Journal
by Marc Rayman
September 27, 2014

Dear Dawnniversaries,

On the seventh anniversary of embarking upon its extraordinary extraterrestrial
expedition, the Dawn spacecraft is far from the planet where its journey
began. While Earth has completed its repetitive loops around the sun seven
times, its ambassador to the cosmos has had a much more varied itinerary.
On most of its anniversaries, including this one, it reshapes its orbit
around the sun, aiming for some of the last uncharted worlds in the inner
solar system. (It also zipped past the oft-visited Mars, robbing the red
planet of some of its orbital energy to help fling the spacecraft on to
the more distant main asteroid belt.) It spent its fourth anniversary
exploring the giant protoplanet Vesta, the second most massive object
in the asteroid belt, revealing a fascinating, complex, alien place more
akin to Earth and the other terrestrial planets than to typical asteroids.
This anniversary is the last it will spend sailing on the celestial seas.
By its eighth, it will be at its new, permanent home, dwarf planet Ceres.

The mysterious world of rock and ice is the first dwarf planet discovered
(129 years before Pluto) and the largest body between the sun and Pluto
that a spacecraft has not yet visited. Dawn will take up residence there
so it can conduct a detailed investigation, recording pictures and other
data not only for scientists but for everyone who has ever gazed up at
the night sky in wonder, everyone who is curious about the nature of the
universe, everyone who feels the burning passion for adventure and the
insatiable hunger for knowledge and everyone who longs to know the cosmos.
Artist depiction of landmarks on Dawn's voyage.

Dawn is the only spacecraft ever to orbit a resident of the asteroid belt.
It is also the only ship ever targeted to orbit two deep-space destinations.
This unique mission would be quite impossible without its advanced ion
propulsion system, giving it capabilities well beyond what conventional
chemical propulsion provides. That is one of the keys to how such a voyage
can be undertaken.

For those who would like to track the probe's progress in the same terms
used on previous (and, we boldly predict, subsequent) anniversaries, we
present here the seventh annual summary, reusing text from last year with
updates where appropriate. Readers who wish to reflect upon Dawn's ambitious
journey may find it helpful to compare this material with the logs from
its first, second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth anniversaries. On this
anniversary, as we will see below, the moon will participate in the celebration.

In its seven years of interplanetary travels, the spacecraft has thrust
for a total of 1,737 days, or 68 percent of the time (and about 0.000000034
percent of the time since the Big Bang). While for most spacecraft, firing
a thruster to change course is a special event, it is Dawn's wont. All
this thrusting has cost the craft only 808 pounds (366 kilograms) of its
supply of xenon propellant, which was 937 pounds (425 kilograms) on Sep.
27, 2007.
Dawn launch, JSC, Sept. 27. 2007

Dawn launched at dawn (7:34 a.m. EDT) from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,
Sep. 27, 2007. Its mission is to learn about the dawn of the solar system
by studying Vesta and Ceres. Credit: KSC/NASA

The thrusting so far in the mission has achieved the equivalent of accelerating
the probe by 22,800 mph (10.2 kilometers per second). As previous logs
have described (see here for one of the more extensive discussions), because
of the principles of motion for orbital flight, whether around the sun
or any other gravitating body, Dawn is not actually traveling this much
faster than when it launched. But the effective change in speed remains
a useful measure of the effect of any spacecraft's propulsive work. Having
accomplished about seven-eighths of the thrust time planned for its entire
mission, Dawn has already far exceeded the velocity change achieved by
any other spacecraft under its own power. (For a comparison with probes
that enter orbit around Mars, refer to this earlier log.)

Since launch, our readers who have remained on or near Earth have completed
seven revolutions around the sun, covering 44.0 AU (4.1 billion miles,
or 6.6 billion kilometers). Orbiting farther from the sun, and thus moving
at a more leisurely pace, Dawn has traveled 31.4 AU (2.9 billion miles,
or 4.7 billion kilometers). As it climbed away from the sun to match its
orbit to that of Vesta, it continued to slow down to Vesta's speed. It
has been slowing down still more to rendezvous with Ceres. Since Dawn's
launch, Vesta has traveled only 28.5 AU (2.6 billion miles, or 4.3 billion
kilometers), and the even more sedate Ceres has gone 26.8 AU (2.5 billion
miles, or 4.0 billion kilometers). (To develop a feeling for the relative
speeds, you might reread this paragraph by paying attention to only one
set of units, whether you choose AU, miles, or kilometers. Ignore the
other two scales so you can focus on the differences in distance among
Earth, Dawn, Vesta and Ceres over the seven years. You will see that as
the strength of the sun's gravitational grip weakens at greater distance,
the corresponding orbital speed decreases.)

Another way to investigate the progress of the mission is to chart how
Dawn's orbit around the sun has changed. This discussion will culminate
with a few more numbers than we usually include, and readers who prefer
not to indulge may skip this material, leaving that much more for the
grateful Numerivores. (If you prefer not to skip it, click here.) In order
to make the table below comprehensible (and to fulfill our commitment
of environmental responsibility), we recycle some more text here on the
nature of orbits.

Orbits are ellipses (like flattened circles, or ovals in which the ends
are of equal size). So as members of the solar system family follow their
paths around the sun, they sometimes move closer and sometimes move farther
from it.

In addition to orbits being characterized by shape, or equivalently by
the amount of flattening (that is, the deviation from being a perfect
circle), and by size, they may be described in part by how they are oriented
in space. Using the bias of terrestrial astronomers, the plane of Earth's
orbit around the sun (known as the ecliptic) is a good reference. Other
planets and interplanetary spacecraft may travel in orbits that are tipped
at some angle to that. The angle between the ecliptic and the plane of
another body's orbit around the sun is the inclination of that orbit.
Vesta and Ceres do not orbit the sun in the same plane that Earth does,
and Dawn must match its orbit to that of its targets. (The major planets
orbit closer to the ecliptic, and part of the arduousness of the journey
is changing the inclination of its orbit, an energetically expensive task.)

Now we can see how Dawn has been doing by considering the size and shape
(together expressed by the minimum and maximum distances from the sun)
and inclination of its orbit on each of its anniversaries. (Experts readily
recognize that there is more to describing an orbit than these parameters.
Our policy remains that we link to the experts' websites when their readership
extends to one more elliptical galaxy than ours does.)

The table below shows what the orbit would have been if the spacecraft
had terminated ion thrusting on its anniversaries; the orbits of its destinations,
Vesta and Ceres, are included for comparison. Of course, when Dawn was
on the launch pad on Sep. 27, 2007, its orbit around the sun was exactly
Earth's orbit. After launch, it was in its own solar orbit.

	Minimum distance from the Sun (AU) 	Maximum distance from the Sun (AU)
	Inclination
Earth's orbit 	0.98 	1.02 	0.0°
Dawn's orbit on Sep. 27, 2007 (before launch) 	0.98 	1.02 	0.0°
Dawn's orbit on Sep. 27, 2007 (after launch) 	1.00 	1.62 	0.6°
Dawn's orbit on Sep. 27, 2008 	1.21 	1.68 	1.4°
Dawn's orbit on Sep. 27, 2009 	1.42 	1.87 	6.2°
Dawn's orbit on Sep. 27, 2010 	1.89 	2.13 	6.8°
Dawn's orbit on Sep. 27, 2011 	2.15 	2.57 	7.1°
Vesta's orbit 	2.15 	2.57 	7.1°
Dawn's orbit on Sep. 27, 2012 	2.17 	2.57 	7.3°
Dawn's orbit on Sep. 27, 2013 	2.44 	2.98 	8.7°
Dawn's orbit on Sep. 27, 2014 	2.46 	3.02 	9.8°
Ceres' orbit 	2.56 	2.98 	10.6°

For readers who are not overwhelmed by the number of numbers, investing
the effort to study the table may help to demonstrate how Dawn has patiently
transformed its orbit during the course of its mission. Note that three
years ago, the spacecraft?s path around the sun was exactly the same as
Vesta's. Achieving that perfect match was, of course, the objective of
the long flight that started in the same solar orbit as Earth, and that
is how Dawn managed to slip into orbit around Vesta. While simply flying
by it would have been far easier, matching orbits with Vesta required
the exceptional capability of the ion propulsion system. Without that
technology, NASA's Discovery Program would not have been able to afford
a mission to explore it in such detail. But now, Dawn has gone even beyond
that. Having discovered so many of Vesta's secrets, the stalwart adventurer
left the protoplanet behind. No other spacecraft has ever escaped from
orbit around one distant solar system object to travel to and orbit still
another extraterrestrial destination. A true interplanetary spaceship,
Dawn is enlarging, reshaping and tilting its orbit again so that in 2015,
it will be identical to Ceres'.

It may surprise you that if Dawn stopped thrusting today, it would sail
out farther from the sun than where it is headed, as shown in the table.
We can understand that, however, by thinking carefully about how the craft
reaches its target. It has been propelling itself up the solar system
hill so it can fly to the vicinity of Ceres, and its own momentum now
is sufficient to carry it even beyond. This is little different from driving
to a destination with the recognition that near the end of your trip,
you need to slow down or you will overshoot. While trajectories that use
ion propulsion are much more complicated, that fundamental principle applies.
Indeed, Dawn's speed toward Ceres has been declining since December 2013.
In addition to the recent and future ion thrusting that guides the ship
smoothly into its new port, the gravity of Ceres itself will help tug
Dawn in. We will see more about that next month when we present the revised
approach plan.
Dawn mission trajectory

[Graphic]
Dawn's interplanetary trajectory (in blue). The dates in white show Dawn?s
location every Sep. 27, starting on Earth in 2007. Note that Earth returns
to the same location, taking one year to complete each revolution around
the sun. As Dawn climbs farther from the sun, it orbits more slowly. Credit:
NASA/JPL

On Sep. 11, as the spacecraft was engaged in routine ion thrusting, a
high-energy particle of space radiation struck an electrical component
onboard. That triggered a chain of events that halted thrusting and required
the team of flight controllers on distant Earth to leap into action to
resume normal operations. Their swift and expert response was successful,
and by Sep. 15 the robot was back on duty. In the next log, we will describe
what happened on the spacecraft and in mission control. We will also see
how navigators take advantage of the tremendous flexibility provided by
ion propulsion to devise a new path into Ceres orbit following this interruption
in thrust. (As we also will see, the rest of the intricate plans for exploring
the dwarf planet will be unchanged. The logs from December 2013 through
last month have previews of those plans.)

As Dawn begins the eighth year of its trek through the solar system, Earthlings
have a convenient opportunity today to locate the distant spacecraft thanks
to the moon. That celestial orb serves as a guidepost to Dawn, which will
be well over one thousand times farther away. When the moon rises in the
United States later this morning, it will be leading Dawn by less than
nine lunar diameters. The sun, moon, planets and stars all appear to move
west as Earth rotates on its axis, but the moon itself travels eastward
in its orbit quickly enough that it falls behind noticeably over the course
of a day. Throughout most of the day today, our natural satellite's progression
will slowly shrink the distance to Dawn. For observes in the eastern part
of the country, by the time the moon sets, it will be about one lunar
diameter from the spacecraft. For those on the west coast, the moon will
be less than its own width from Dawn around sunset. By the time they see
the moon setting, Dawn will have passed it and will lead it down to the
horizon, the pair still within two lunar diameters of each other. The
details are not so important, however. For observers anywhere today, the
moon allows us to get a sense of where in the vast sky our faithful explorer
is.

Of course Dawn is much, much, much too far away to be seen with our humble
eyes. The spacecraft is more than 1.2 million times farther from Earth
than the International Space Station is. It is more remote than Mars ever
is. The most powerful optical telescopes on high mountains or in orbit
could not detect anything nearly as faint as Dawn in the depths of space.
Yet readers have ready access to vision far more acute. We can turn our
mind's eye to that part of the sky near the moon. Out there, in that direction,
is a probe from Earth, an emissary to the cosmos, silently streaking through
the distant void, conducting an ambitious and exciting mission of discovery
on behalf of curious and ingenious humans who yearn for new knowledge
and new insight and who have an insatiable passion for grand adventures.

Dawn is 2.1 million miles (3.5 million kilometers) from Ceres. It is also
3.37 AU (313 million miles, or 504 million kilometers) from Earth, or
1,290 times as far as the moon and 3.36 times as far as the sun today.
Radio signals, traveling at the universal limit of the speed of light,
take 56 minutes to make the round trip.