[meteorite-list] Near pure Olivine Meteorite

Alan Rubin aerubin at ucla.edu
Tue Jan 14 19:54:00 EST 2014

The question of the dearth of olivine meteorites (asteroidal dunites) has
been around for a very long time.  Most folks have ascribed this paucity as
being due to the brittle nature of olivine meteorites relative to
pallasites.  Pallasites have relatively long cosmic-ray-exposure ages
indicating that they can survive the rigors of interplanetary space for a
rather long while.  Eucrites have much shorter CRE ages on average.  This
suggests that if asteroidal dunites are from deep in the mantle, they would
be in space about as long as the pallasites and not survive because they are
no tougher than eucrites.
Alan

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA  90095-1567