[meteorite-list] Space Dust Carries Water and Organic Carbon

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 19 19:33:30 EST 2014

http://www.astrobio.net/exclusive/5986/space-dust-carries-water-and-organic-carbon

Space Dust Carries Water and Organic Carbon
Astrobiology Magazine
Johnny Bontemps
February 4, 2014

on the surface of interplanetary dust particles. The findings open a new
possibility about the delivery of life's ingredients to Earth and potentially
elsewhere.

Could Space Dust have Delivered Life's Ingredients to Earth?

For the first time, scientists have detected water molecules on the surface
of interplanetary dust particles. The water forms in tiny bubbles when
solar wind irradiates and damages the dust grains floating through space.

Previous research had shown that space dust also contains organic carbon--another
key ingredient for life. Taken together, these findings raise the intriguing
possibility that dust trickling down from space could have seeded life's
building blocks on our own planet--and potentially elsewhere.

Dust in the (Solar) Wind

For the past 40 years, researchers have debated whether solar wind could
actually produce water. When astronauts brought rocks and soil back from
the Moon, scientists had noticed that solar wind irradiation creates pockets
of damage on the outer layers of space objects that lack a protective
atmosphere.

They quickly realized that water could potentially be created by this
process. Dust grains come from the breakdown of comets, asteroids, and
leftover debris from the birth of the solar system. They contain a lot
of silicate, a mineral made of silicon and oxygen.

Solar wind mainly blasts clouds of hydrogen ions into space. When the
wind hits cosmic debris, the ensuing damage loosens the oxygen atoms,
which are then free to react with the solar wind's hydrogen, potentially
resulting in the formation of tiny pockets of water.

But the amount of water was too small to be detected--until now.

The research team, led by John Bradley of the University of Hawaii in
Honolulu, used a state-of-the-art transition electron microscope to finally
detect these water pockets on cosmic dust. The samples had previously
been collected by high-flying NASA aircrafts, and curated by the Astromaterial
research group at the NASA Johnson Space Center.

The team confirmed their finding by simulating the process in the laboratory.
The work was conducted at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in
California, and the findings were published this month is the journal
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Seeds of Life?

The findings open a new intriguing possibility about the origins of life
on Earth. Some theories had suggested that life was seeded on Earth by
comets or asteroids bombarding the early Earth's surface, before the planet
got its protective atmosphere.

"Our work shows that it could have been a much more gentle process, with
this fine dust trickling down gently, carrying both organic carbon and
water," says Hope Ishii, a co-author of the study now at the University
of Hawaii in Honolulu.

"In the process of entering the earth's atmosphere, the dust grains are
heated. So the dust particles may act like little incubators for chemical
reactions, like localized vessels carrying organic compounds and water
together."

But the findings do not suggest that Earth's oceans were formed by this
process.

Today, our Earth accumulates 30,000 to 40,000 tons of space dust every
year. But that amount is hard to estimate overtime. "The amount of dust
falling from space was much larger in the early Earth history, "Ishii
explains. "And our sun was also much brighter in the past."

"We don't know how much water is produced by this method. There's just
too many factors we'd have to estimate," she says.

Universal Delivery

Could space dust have delivered life's ingredients to planets outside
our solar system as well?

"Anywhere there's dust, and anywhere a star generates solar wind, we should
expect this water-forming process to happen," Ishii says. "It's such a
tantalizing possibility--that this process may have contributed to the
origins of life not only on Earth, but possibly elsewhere."