[meteorite-list] Fake Norway Rock

Greg Crinklaw crinklaw at tularosa.net
Thu Apr 10 20:05:19 EDT 2014

On 4/10/2014 2:15 PM, Joshua Tree Earth & Space Museum wrote:
> I stand by my conclusion. Anyone who looks at a video showing a pebble
> popping out of a parachute, then concludes it was a meteoroid in dark
> flight has been duped.

Nobody has made such a conclusion, at least not posted to this forum.
For that matter, if you listen carefully, none of the scientists or
parachutists involved with the original investigation made such a
conclusion either. We all knew it was highly unlikely right from the
start. You surely are't alone in that.

There seems to be a cultural divide at work here.

People love absolutes, but there are few if any absolutes in the real
world. Recognizing the possibility exists, however vanishingly small,
that this was a meteorite, is how a scientist is trained to report
things. That's all Chris was doing. It is an important part of being
intellectually honest. The chance may be one in a billion, but that's
not the same as zero.

The evidence does not yet completely rule out that this rock was a
meteorite. Please consider that stating this fact is not the same thing
as believing that the rock was a meteorite after all, nor even that
there is more than the tiniest chance that it is.

Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer