[meteorite-list] Fake Norway rock

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at online.nl
Thu Apr 10 05:03:13 EDT 2014

> Well one of the parachutists seems to think someone at NASA did debunk it, since they posted a thank you for the help thanking NASA. I guess they are making that up too:)
>
> Michael Farmer

Phil Metzger, who has in the past extensively modelled falling debris at Shuttle
launches, has used his models to analyze the video. He concludes that while a
(large) meteorite at distance cannot be fully excluded, the footage is also
consistent with a small rock (pebble size: ~3.3 cm) falling out of the parachute:

http://tinyurl.com/qglu7vp

I agree with Chris: while a meteorite is still a distinct possibility and has
therefore not been 100% debunked, the falling pebble from parachute explanation
now seems the most likely one.

- Marco

----
Dr Marco (183294) Langbroek