[meteorite-list] Possible Ancient Meteorite

Roman Jirasek rj at meteoritelabels.com
Thu Sep 12 21:50:12 EDT 2013

I had an archaeologist email me today asking about custom labels, and also
if I could help with identifying a possible ancient meteorite he found this
year.

I received permission to send this question to my fellow colleagues which
may
have more insight into this topic. Read below, or click on link to see his
photos...
http://www.meteoritelabels.com/Ancient.htm

Cheers,
Roman Jirasek
www.meteoritelabels.com

Copied email follows....

 I am an Archaeologist and recovered a meteorite in 2013, on private
property in Sparta Greece. This meteorite was found inside an ancient vase,
and was buried with human remains. We dated this site to approximately, 220
BCE to 130 BCE, but have not yet carbon dated the item.

I do not know of any meteorite falling on or near Sparta Greece.  Since the
meteorite was found inside an honorary vase, we suspect it was held in high
regards, and more than likely to remember a battle.

The only battle recorded that had a meteorite that fell during the battle;
was with ancient Turkey and the Spartans.

It actually stopped the battle for two days, thinking it was a sign from the
gods. Many of the Spartans recovered portions of the meteorite is a sign of
victory from the God of Mars.

I have enclosed a picture of the meteorite. Can you tell me? Of any
meteorites that fell prior to 220 BCE, since we know that was the earliest
date, since the meteorites was buried with the hoplite soldier.  We assume
the meteorite obviously fell before that date.

This would help us, with dating the find.

Additionally  what would the selling price be if it were to be sold. The
meteorite?

Thank you

Douglas Roth.
Phoenix, Arizona.
Sparta archaeology.

Yes, it is fine to forward the info and pics.

I don't have any dir links, but can be found, on face book for Douglas
Rothman Scottsdale, or ancient history on face book for archeology travel
and tours.

Douglas Rothman.