[meteorite-list] Looking for Happy meteorite goodness

Jason Utas meteoritekid at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 18:00:26 EDT 2013

Hello All,
Gao, Chergach, Pultusk, and other ordinary chondrites often have their
impact melt portions ignored when being characterized.  Chelyabinsk
would be the most recent obvious example of this -- "LL5 S4 W0"
Except, when you read the petrographic description:

"...A significant portion (1/3) of the stones consist of a dark,
fine-grained impact melt containing mineral and chondrule fragments.
Feldspar is well developed and practically isotropic. No high-pressure
phases were found in the impact melt. There are black-colored thin
shock veins in both light and dark lithologies."

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=57165

We collectors see impact melt and think it's cool, but it's secondary
information for the classification, I think.

Regards,
Jason

www.fallsandfinds.com