[meteorite-list] First Closeup Images of an Asteroid - Gaspra in 1991

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 29 12:11:20 EDT 2013

22 years ago today, October 29, 1991, the Galileo spacecraft flew by asteroid Gaspra,
and took the first ever closeup images of an asteroid:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/images/gaspra.html

I remember that day well.

On October 29, 1998, John Glenn returned to space on the Space Shuttle Discovery.
I was lucky to be at Cape Canaveral to witness the launch.

On October 29, 1938, Orson Wells aired his now famous radio broadcast of
the "War of the Worlds".  I missed that one. :)

Ron Baalke