[meteorite-list] Franconia AREA (was, Re: ...terminology...)

wahlperry at aol.com wahlperry at aol.com
Wed May 1 22:30:57 EDT 2013

Hi Jim and List,

I will try to find the picture that you sent from the Franconia area.
If I remember right, the meteorite was approximately 5-7 grams that
basically looked like a small chondritic meteorite with a metal bleb
(as seen in many of the early Franconia meteorites).

Since there has been so much talk about the various meteorite
classifications that have come out of this Franconia/Yucca DCA I wonder
if anyone has taken the time to compare
the large metal blebs that are found in a lot of the early Franconia
area meteorites to the H metal meteorite that Jim found (Yucca 015). A
lot of the larger meteorites found on the North and South side several
years ago displayed these features. I am sure some folks out there have
slices off of some of the larger stones that display the large metal
blebs/flakes. It would be interesting to see how the metal blebs
compare to the H metal meteorites from the same area.

I also read about the terrestrial age dating on the meteorites from the
DCA. What is the margin of error plus or minus on the terrestrial
dating? I know there are various classifications
of meteorites from this DCA I just wonder if Yucca 015 (just using this
as an example) could have fallen as one of the early Franconia
meteorites with the metal blebs but separated during the explosion over
the strewnfield.

Sonny