[meteorite-list] sharp protrusion from an iron meteorite

Nicholas Gessler, Ph.D. nick.gessler at duke.edu
Tue Mar 5 17:48:18 EST 2013

Back to the question of sharp protrusions, but from chondrites not irons...

Some sharp metal protrusions at Tucson:
Handling an OC at Tucson a blade of metal stuck in my hand and drew blood.
On closer examination it was apparently a shock melt surface which differential
erosion had left sharp and sticking out.
I also saw a nice Chergach which was broken on a shock melt surface which
looked much like "slickensides."  Again, the surface was metal.

Both are interesting features of the "whole rock" that are not readily imaginable
from cut slices.

Cheers,
Nick