[meteorite-list] Analysis of a prehistoric Egyptian iron bead report great read

Shawn Alan photophlow at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 22:07:49 EDT 2013

Hello Listers,

Its quite in here, I think people are having too much fun at Ensisheim. I am excited to see what meteorites people will have for sale, please tell :)

And for those of you that have some time to waist :) .....
 I just came across this great research paper on the Egyptian beads made from meteorites. Its a good read  and gives the reader on new perspectives on the use of meteorite in ancient cultures and anyone can download it for free. :)

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
ebay store
http://stores.ebay.com/imca1633ny?_rdc=1
http://meteoritefalls.com/

AnalysisofaprehistoricEgyptianironbeadwithimplicationsfortheuse andperceptionofmeteoriteironinancientEgypt

DianeJOHNSON1*,JoyceTYLDESLEY2,3,Tristan  LOWE4,  PhilipJ.WITHERS4, and Monica  M.GRADY1,5

Abstract–Tube-shaped beadsexcavatedfromgravepitsattheprehistoric  Gerzehcemetery, approximately  3300  BCE,  represent   the  earliest  known   use  of  iron  in  Egypt.   Using  a combinationofscanning  electron  microscopy  and  microX-raymicrocomputertomography, weshowthat  microstructuralandchemicalanalysisofaGerzeh  ironbeadisconsistent  with a   cold-worked   iron   meteorite.   Thin   fragments   of   parallel   bands   of   taenite   within   a meteoritic  Widmansta¨tten  pattern   are  present,  with  structural  distortion  caused  by  cold- working.   The  metal  fragments   retain   their  original  chemistry  of  approximately  30wt% nickel.The  bulk  ofthebead  ishighlyoxidized,  withonlyapproximately2.4%  ofthetotal bead  volume  remaining  asmetal.  Our  resultsshowthat  thefirstknown  exampleoftheuse ofiron  inEgypt  wasproduced  from  ameteorite,
  itscelestialorigin  having  implications  for both   the   perception   of  meteorite   iron   by  ancient   Egyptians   and   the   development   of metallurgical  knowledgeintheNileValley

Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/maps.12120/pdf