[meteorite-list] Meteoroid/Asteroid Electro-Magnetic Disruption and Charge Properties?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 27 15:08:31 EST 2013

Hi Carl-

For the most part, breakup characteristics don't correlate well with
either size or material. I think it's largely a matter of the bulk
properties of the meteoroid- how monolithic versus faulted it is- and
any material can exist on a wide range between those extremes.

For the most part, I'd say if there's any "sweet-spot", it is largely
determined by the same factors that have been seen as key for a long
time- a shallow entry angle, low entry speed, and low altitude terminal
explosion all bode well for meteorite production. Of course, larger
bodies have more material, and might well be expected to yield more
meteorites under equivalent entry conditions. But that's a very broad
generalization. I think that the nature of the terminal explosion of
Chelyabinsk resulted in such tiny fragmentation that something in excess
of 99% of the initial mass was lost. A somewhat stronger body of the
same size might have survived a little longer, slowing enough that the
disruption would be less violent, and a lot more could survive. Consider
that Sikhote-Alin was a smaller body, but much more material survived to
the ground- both because it was materially stronger, and because it
didn't explode until it was much lower.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory