[meteorite-list] Sutters Mill Effort

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Tue May 1 12:09:55 EDT 2012

Well...I spent two days out in the Coloma and  Lotus Park area searching
for the illusive Sutter Mill meteorite. I was there on  the 25th with some
light rain showers to deal with. The heavier rain occurred  the next day I
understand. Then I went yesterday the 30th. I had no luck with  both days. I
thought my poor old legs were gonna drop off. I think I've  formulated some
ideas if this happens to me again...namely to initially skip the  tall grass
fields if there is any, and concentrate on the parking lots, and  sides of
roads first. I was hoping to run into some of you more experienced  guys, but
it seemed you all disappeared to all points of the compass. :O) On my  first
day, I did have a small chat with Richard Garcia when I ran into him at  the
Lotus park parking lot. The next day I saw him being interviewed on tv...so
 it looks like I found a "Movie Star" after all. :O) It was an interesting
experience. I got a big thrill simply because I've driven thru the Coloma
Gold  Discovery park maybe at least 50 times over the last 10 years. All this
while on  my way to or from my gold dredging location on the Yuba river
further north. I  did once scout out a dredging site about 2 miles north of
Lotus Park along  highway 49. The BLM people unloaded too many rules for us to
follow and I gave  up that location. My partners did dredge there however
and found 3 or 4 ounces  within a month of work. Just for grins I walked that
open area some on the first  day, but found nothing in the way of
meteorites. I've been thinking if it would  be worth the effort to search some of the
tall grassy field areas next winter  before the next crop of grass comes
up? I'm thinking that as the current grass  dries up during the summer, they
will shrink in size in the process and may not  be so thick to see thru? I
will have to give that some thought.
George Zay