[meteorite-list] Tissint - Density Measurements - UCF

Greg Hupé gmhupe at centurylink.net
Thu Jan 19 13:32:53 EST 2012

Hello Martian Fans,

Yesterday I drove up to the University of Central Florida (UCF), Orlando,
with the 91.3g Tissint individual to have some density measurements
performed by Dr. Dan Britt.

Dr. Britt using tiny glass beads as the medium to determine the bulk density
measurement for this sample from the Tissint Martian meteorite. The stone is
submersed in the cup containing glass beads sitting on the vibrator to allow
the beads to fill all the surface voids and contours. The vibrator in run
for five seconds for each measurement.
http://www.lunarrock.com/NewMartian/TissintDensityMeasurement1.jpg

Dr. Britt holding the 91.3g stone next to the pycnometer that utilizes
helium as the medium for density measurement.
http://www.lunarrock.com/NewMartian/TissintDensityMeasurement2.jpg

Tissint stone in the removable chamber that will be inserted and sealed into
the pycnometer for measurements.
http://www.lunarrock.com/NewMartian/TissintDensityMeasurement3.jpg

It takes approximately 1 - 1.5 hours to do both the glass bead and helium
methods to measure a sample. There are several repetitive steps needed to
get enough measurements to get an overall average density for the meteorite.

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Hupé
The Hupé Collection