[meteorite-list] Meteorite Classification Question - Instruments

Robert Beauford robertbeauford at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 13 16:10:54 EST 2012

As I recall, there are several people on the list that actively classify meteorites, so I'm hoping one of you will be patient with a question that may be profoundly ignorant.
I have access, in house, to a FEI Nova Nanolab 200 Dual-Beam Focused Ion Beam or a PHI VersaProbe XPS instrument, (along with SEM and TEM) but not to a working electron microprobe or, ironically, the equipment to make thin sections.  I am not very familiar with the XPS or ion beam instrument.  Can I get the necessary olivine composition ratio to achieve classification of a chondrite with the XPS probe or the ion beam or do I need to go somewhere and use a proper electron microprobe?  I would be truly grateful if any of you would take the time to advise.
Thanks so much,
-Robert