[meteorite-list] Slow Moving Fireball Over North Carolina

Ed Deckert edeckert at triad.rr.com
Sun Apr 1 12:06:41 EDT 2012

Hi List,

I wanted to report on a personally witnessed, very slow-moving fireball over
central North Carolina, USA.  The fireball - so bright that it illuminated
the entire area as far as I could see.  Please believe me when I say that it
was as bright as day outside!  Never before have I seen anything any
brighter.

Explosions were not heard, nor were there any break-ups witnessed.  The
fireball appeared first in the eastern sky, with a trajectory taking it
almost perfectly west.  Color was a bright white, perhaps slightly
yellowish.  I believe that I can say it was definitely not space junk.

Anyone have anything on their all-sky cameras?  Doppler reports?  Other
sightings?  This thing was HUGE, and I doubt that I was the only one to
witness it.  Although I have not heard anything on the local news channel.
Very strange since they manage to report on ingrown toenails, and poison ivy
rash inflicted on local residents.

If anyone can collaborate, it would be appreciated.  This has the potential
to be something really big!

Many thanks,
Ed Deckert