[meteorite-list] UARS Satellite to Re-Enter Earth's Atmosphere This Week

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 20 19:43:53 EDT 2011

Space Weather News for Sept. 20, 2011
http://spaceweather.com

UARS, a NASA satellite the size of a small bus, will re-enter
Earth's atmosphere later this week producing a brilliant fireball
somewhere over our planet.  Best estimates place the re-entry time
during the late hours of Sept. 23rd over a still-unknown region of
Earth. Observers of the rapidly-decaying satellite say it is tumbling
and flashing, sometimes almost as brightly as Venus.  Video images
featured on today's edition of http://spaceweather.com show how the
doomed satellite looks through a backyard telescope.

Readers who would like to catch a last glimpse of UARS streaking
across the night sky should check SpaceWeather's Satellite Tracker
for flyby times: http://spaceweather.com/flybys . You can also turn
your smartphone into a UARS tracker by downloading our Simple Flybys
app:  http://simpleflybys.com