[meteorite-list] Why did they not use the leftover propellant to heighten the orbit and push the rogue satellite into space?

jim_brady611 at o2.co.uk jim_brady611 at o2.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 10:21:32 EDT 2011

from Rons original posting

"...When NASA
decommissioned the 12,500-pound satellite in 2005, controllers used
leftover propellant to lower its orbit from 340 miles to expedite its
re-entry. "

Surely if they are already in orbit it would only take a tiny amount
of fuel to push it completely out of orbit?

can someone enlighten me please? The only thing I can guess is that it
would endanger other satellites or possibly the ISS if they had
propelled it away instead of towards the Earth.

2424