[meteorite-list] Part II: American David Rittenhouse (Warning - Pre-Chladni)

Doug Ross doug at dougross.net
Sun Oct 23 17:06:19 EDT 2011

Thanks for the fascinating discussion, gentlemen!  A great account of the rigorous, often slow process that revolutionary new scientific theories must go through before gaining widespread acceptance.

I have a related question.  Who was the first person to accurately calculate the trajectories of meteors, and successfully recover meteorites based on those calculations?  I'm not talking about someone who witnessed a meteor, and was lucky enough to have stones landing nearby.  In other words, who was the first systematic meteorite hunter?  Was it Nininger?

- (the other) Doug
doug at dougross.net