[meteorite-list] POP QUIZ ANSWER

Shawn Alan photophlow at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 15:27:36 EST 2011

Hello Listers and Listerites

I would like to thank everyone that emailed their answers for POP QUIZ FRIDAYS.

The question was......

What is the only common mineral found in ordinary chondrites that survives long
term weather on Earth?

Answer

Chromite

Chromite is a mineral that can withstand the times on Earth and in a since, acts as a time capsule, encasing silicates found in meteorites. This mineral allows scientists to examine decomposed meteorites, fossilized meteorites and other meteorites that have been stressed by the environments on Earth. I wonder if this mineral could be synthesized what applications scientists would use it for?

I would like to congratulate Sean T for being the first Lister to send me in the correct answer because there was no luck number 7 Lister that submitted the correct answer. He will be receiving a free Almahata Sitta micro lot.

Thank you

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBay story