[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hammer Time - You Pick the Target!

Jimski47 at aol.com Jimski47 at aol.com
Sat Nov 12 06:14:16 EST 2011

Happy Birthday Mike! How about smashing pumpkins.

Jim K

In a message dated 11/11/2011 7:19:34 P.M. Central Standard  Time,
meteoritemike at gmail.com writes:
Hi Listees,

Let me state now, at  the start, this post is SILLY.  If you are
aggravated or offended by  meteorite-related silliness on this List,
then stop reading and delete this  post now.

Ok, you were warned.

Tomorrow is my birthday (41 going  on 16) and I have indulged in a rare
pleasure - a few shots of Maker's  Mark.  This has made me a bit silly
and a pointless idea spontaneously  erupted from my sodded brain...

Have you ever wondered what would happen  if a falling meteorite struck
a certain object?

Now you can find  out.

I have an unclassified NWA chondrite of dubious worth.  It  is
weathered.  It is ugly.  It's probably an H5 chondrite.  It  weighs 851
grams (1.87 pounds).

Photos of the HAMMER SMASHER METEORITE  :

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/smasher-1.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/smasher-2.jpg

I  am going to use this meteorite to SMASH objects that you nominate
for  destruction!

Here is how this will work :

I will accept  nominations from the List for objects that will be
hammered by this  meteorite.

Once a nomination is selected, I will take the object out into  my
backyard and place it on the ground.  I will set up a camera  to
capture the resulting mayhem on video.  I will then climb onto my  roof
and hurl the meteorite at the object with the intent of doing  some
serious damage to the target object.  Then I will upload the video  to
YouTube for hammer voyeurs around the world to watch.

Some rules  about nominating objects :

1) I am a man of very modest means.  This  means I cannot, and will
not, smash any flat screen plasma televisions,  iPads, Ferrari
windshields, priceless antiques, or other objects which are  expensive
or difficult to acquire.  The objects nominated should be  common items
that are easily available and inexpensive.

2) Resist the  temptation to nominate politicians (of any party
affiliation).

3) I will  select a winning nominee based on a combination of -
creativity and  smashability.

4) If someone wants to donate an object for smashing, I  will consider
and accept donated objects based on the criteria laid out in #3  above.
You will bear the cost of shipping the object to me and  return
shipping if you want the shattered remnants of the objects returned  to
you.

Let the nominations  begin!

MikeG

-----
Galactic  Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)

Website -  http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/42h79my
News  Feed - http://www.galactic-stone.com/rss/126516
Twitter -  http://twitter.com/galacticstone