[meteorite-list] noob questions

Ronald Machisen ronmachisen at me.com
Tue May 24 12:34:15 EDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

I live in San Antonio and have been doing all of my homework.  Reading, getting pictures of stones, and even purchased a couple of samples to study.  What are the chances of searching an area that had a fall in 1950 and 1980?  Would it be a waste of time?  More specifically, I am looking at the Guadeloupe area just east of San Antonio.  I have all of the coordinates and I'm going to track down the land owners.  Also, if it is a single recovery of a stone, what would the best method be to search the area?  Search in Radiating circles?  I don't have any information on the direction of the meteorite.

I am also thinking of going to the Ash Creek strewn field.  I don't think it's possible that it can be all searched out.  What do you guys think?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I also think the best way of successfully hunting is to get experience from someone.  Are there any groups in the area, or someone willing to be a mentor?

Equipment: GB2, Rare Earth Mags, GPS, digging tools, plenty of books and lots of determination.

Sorry if this is a duplicate, my first one was rich text.

Ron Machisen
ronmachisen at me.com
Sent from my Macbook Pro