[meteorite-list] Mohs hardness and meteorites

Jimski47 at aol.com Jimski47 at aol.com
Sat May 14 07:06:28 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/9/2011 4:24:28 P.M.  Central Daylight Time,
meteoritemike at gmail.com writes:
Hi List,

Has  anyone ever put together a hardness list for meteorites in
relation to the  Mohs scale?

I know that irons, stony-irons, friable types (some  achondrites, LL's)
will vary greatly in hardness.  But what I am curious  about is stony
type meteorites, specifically the chondrite family.  For  example,
let's take the "typical" H5 chondrite - one of the most common of  all
meteorite types.  Where does the H5 fall on the Mohs hardness  scale?

Up until the time I started cutting and polishing meteorites,  I
assumed that an L5 would be "softer" than an H5.  But, I have  run
across some L-chondrites that are very very hard and require the  same
amount of sanding/polishing work as some H-chondrites.  I am  assuming
this is because of the individual mineral compositions of  the
meteorites in questions, and not so much the petrologic type.  So am  I
right to assume that stony meteorite hardness is not dictated solely
by  iron content?

Best regards,

Mike Gilmer
Galactic  Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber

Website -  http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook -  http://www.facebook.com/galacticstone
News Feed -  http://www.galactic-stone.com/rss/126516
Twitter -  http://twitter.com/galacticstone