[meteorite-list] Fireball question / sonic boom

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Wed Mar 30 02:04:51 EDT 2011

Eric...for some reason, the figure of about  9,000 mph sticks in my head as
the point of retardation. I don't know where to  resource that figure to
see if its right or not...but I think its  close.
geozay

of
sound is about  760  MPH.

What is the speed at which a meteoroid extinguishes and is  no longer
incandescent?>>

I believe its in the  neighborhood of 7,000 mph.  If its a small meteoroid,
it will  extinguish way too high for a sonic boom to  reach the ground.
GeoZay  <<<<