[meteorite-list] Polished Butts - Toliet humor aside, what exactly are th...

Jimski47 at aol.com Jimski47 at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 16:59:02 EDT 2011

My guess would be that it's a polished endcut.

Jim K

In a message dated 3/28/2011 3:54:41 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
meteoritemike at gmail.com writes:
Hi Folks,

I have seen several  references to "polished butts" in the Met
Bulletin.  For example, from  this recent entry (NWA 6580) approved
yesterday -

"Type specimens  available at Cascadia include 1 piece originally 20.0
g, from which one  polished thin section and one polished butt were
made. Thompson holds the  main mass."

I did the usual Google Search ("polished butt") to find out  what this
was, and you don't want to know what the results of that search  were.
Let's just say, that is has nothing to do with meteorites or  thin
sections.

So I have to ask the List - what is a polished  butt?

Best regards,

MikeG

Mike  Gilmer - Galactic Stone & Ironworks Meteorites

Website -  http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook -  http://www.facebook.com/galacticstone
News Feed -  http://www.galactic-stone.com/rss/126516
Twitter -  http://twitter.com/galacticstone