[meteorite-list] The Interest In Meteorites

Michael Gilmer meteoritemike at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 23:18:45 EDT 2011

Hi John and List,

And there are 186 collections with almost 17000 specimens and about
19000 images.  The site must be chewing up an enormous amount of
bandwidth.  I'm glad I don't have to pay that monthly bill.

I try to reduce redundancy by only listing a single specimen for each
find or fall.  I notice that some people have 10 or 20 entries for a
single meteorite like Campo or NWA 869.  I guess it's not against the
rules, but it does contribute to bandwidth usage.  In fact, I have a
couple of duplicates in my collection that need to be removed - older
specimens that have been replaced with newer ones.  Maybe it's just
me, but I don't like clicking on someone's collection and then seeing
20 entries for Campo, 20 entries for NWA 869, etc - or seeing the same
specimen from 10 different angles in 10 different photos.  I
understand wanting to show off one's entire collection (or document it
in photos), but the EOM is a free site, and if it is to stay that way,
we should be conservative with the amount and quality of photos that
we upload - to help ease the bandwidth costs.

So please, don't post 5 photos of your caliche-covered NWA or rusty
Campo.  This is not directed at any one person in particular, because
lots of people are doing it.

The only exception to this practice that I tolerate is Mirko's
specimens - his meteorites are so attractive, that I don't mind seeing
them from different angles or close-ups.

But honestly, who wants to see 20 different Campos or the same Campo
from 10 angles?

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com