[meteorite-list] wire saw cost

Michael Gilmer meteoritemike at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 19:41:10 EST 2011

HI List,

I'm not sure where this notion of large amount of loss with ordinary
lap saws is coming from.  Perhaps it is true with large saws using
thick blades, but a 6-inch saw using a .012" blade generates very
little loss.  When slicing a 100g stone, I expect about approx. 3-5g
of loss with my current saw setup.  This is a lot when one is cutting
a lunar or martian, but when cutting OC's and most other types
(including CV3's), this is acceptable to me and everyone I have cut
for.  This is why I always recommend using a saw that is just big
enough to cut the specimen.  In other words, don't use a 10-inch saw
to cut a meteorite the size of a golfball.   Larger saws use thicker
blades which generate more loss.

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com