[meteorite-list] weight/attractiveness - SCALE

Michael Blood mlblood at cox.net
Mon Mar 7 16:49:19 EST 2011

Hi Paul,
        Traditionally meteorites are sold by the gram or kilo gram
Or even the Lb on eBay, sometimes. However there is nothing
Whatsoever selling based on aesthetics. However, I would NEVER
Purchase any meteorite  by photo if there weren't a CM cube or a
Quarter, dime, penny, coke can, SOMETHING to give it a scale
If there were no weight noted. No weight AND no scale comparison -
Hell, you could be buying a .008g micro meteorite!
        However, of course, weight AND scale is desirable for most
Pieces, sometimes  a super thin part slice WITH some size scale
Is fine - you are buying it FOR how it looks - what does it mater
What it weighs? You aren't going to cut it up for resale - and even
If you were, the surface area is what "sells" the piece, not the weight.
         Some will agree - some will disagree. But I would rather have
A 40g specimen that looked GREAT in my collection than an 89g
Specimen of the same thing that was notably less attractive.
        Again, with no weight AND no scale = no way.
        Michael