[meteorite-list] Very Large (Philippine) Tektites

Aubrey Whymark tinbider at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 06:26:26 EDT 2011

Hi

I am compiling a list of the largest Philippine tektites. If you have a large (over 900g) Philippinite then please let me know. Also please let me know the details (dates, localities, story, history) and indicate if I can publish the data. Also interested in data on particularly large tektites from anywhere else in the world for the website!

This is my list so far:
Weight	    Locality	           Find Date	Current Owner

1,195.00g‡   Talusan, Paracale, Bicol   05 Feb 2011   Aubrey Whymark, Philippines

1,070.54g	   Bicol   Before Apr 1937   Corning Museum of Glass, N.Y., USA

Under 1,020g*   Coco Grove, Paracale, Bicol   Aug-Dec 1938   Not known

1,018.40g*   Paracale, Bicol   Old Collection   Aubrey Whymark, Philippines

1,009g   Paracale, Bicol    Unknown   Dieter Heinlein, Germany

991.7g    Assume Bicol    Pre-2007    Formerly Futrell, ?Lehman, USA

986g    Assume Bicol    Pre-2007    Prof. Zelimir Gabelica (in 2007)

970.2g†    Assume Bicol    Pre-2011    Milan Trnka, Czech Republic

967g†    Assume Bicol    Pre-2007    Prof. Zelimir Gabelica (in 2007)

966.85g    Agusan, Bicol    18 Jun 2011    Aubrey Whymark, Philippines

924.9g    Bicol    Pre-2008    Guido von Berg, Spain/Germany

ABOVE: A table of known Philippinites over 900g in weight. Almost certainly more exist. ‡ Not yet formally weighed. * Strong chance that these are the same specimen but not provable. † Probably the same specimen.

Also please see my webpage at http://www.tektites.co.uk/largest_tektites.html

Thanks in advance,

Aubrey Whymark
aubrey at tektites.co.uk