[meteorite-list] [AD] Major Auction Sunday Includes "Meteorite Men" Finds

Notkin geoking at notkin.net
Fri Jun 10 20:30:58 EDT 2011

Dear Listees:

Greetings from a very hot and sunny Tucson.

As some of you know, Heritage is presenting a major natural history
auction this Sunday in Dallas, featuring numerous fine meteorites.
Among the offerings are several important pieces found on-camera
during Season Two of "Meteorite Men." These specimens have a unique
provenance, and the winning bidder will receive (from me) a DVD of the
episode in which that particular piece was found. DVDs of the show are
not available for sale at this time.

Of particular interest are:

- Main mass of the oriented San Juan (Chile) stone found by Steve on
camera in "Meteorite Men" Season Two, Episode Three, and later
analyzed by Dr. Mike Zolensky at NASA's Johnson Space Center.

- The highly oriented 42-gram Mifflin individual found on camera by
Steve and Geoff in "Meteorite Men" Season Two, Episode Five -- a very
desirable example of this recent witnessed fall.

- A large full slice of the exquisite Vaca Muerta mesosiderite mass
found by Steve and Geoff on camera in "Meteorite Men" Season Two,
Episode Two. Only nine slices were prepared and offered for sale, and
this is one of the larges and best. Both Marlin Cilz and Dr. Laurence
Garvie said this was one of the finest mesosiderites they had ever seen.

Also of note:

- A superb individual, 827 grams, of the Japanese witnessed fall
Juancheng (Feb. 15, 1997). This excellent thumbprinted and fusion-
crusted stone was prominently featured in my book "Meteorite Hunting:
How To Find Treasure From Space," because of its exceptional character
and the lot includes a signed copy of that book.

These lots, and several other impressive pieces from my personal
collection -- including two Sikhote-Alins with natural holes, a large
Sikhote-Alin etched end cut, and a beautiful part slice of Esquel --
can be viewed in the Heritage online catalog:

http://bit.ly/iwNbDO

Online bidding is currently open, but only until 10 pm Central,
tomorrow night.

In addition, we recently completed a significant update to the
Aerolite Meteorites online catalog, and all new additions -- including
Gibeon, Sikhote-Alin, Thuate, Oum Dreyga, Dimmitt, Juancheng, Gebel
Kamil, Taza, Mundrabilla, Henbury, and much more including lovely new
meteorite jewelry -- can be seen here:

http://www.aerolite.org/new.htm

Have a great weekend, and good luck to anyone bidding in the Heritage
auction,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.meteoritemen.com