[meteorite-list] What's with these weird Campos?

MEM mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 00:08:16 EST 2011

Be it remembered that it is not so much water but salt/chlorine that affects
stability. I imagine that the expansion differences in iron oxide and native
metal when placed in liquid nitrogen is an effective spalder for knocking off
the shale portions and carrying away the chlorine ions.  It is likely they are
also treated with some petroleum sealer.

As to etching-- if the shards are in fact fracturing along taenite/kamacite
boundaries then there should be no Widmanstaten patterns.

Elton