[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101-The Bolide and the Nuclear Bomb

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 17 17:07:14 EST 2011

The comparison is nothing to do with (ionizing) radiation. It is simply a
matter of using references that people are comfortable with. Meteors in the
range of very bright fireballs to impact events happen to produce energy
levels that are equivalent to nuclear bombs. Unlike nuclear bombs, however,
the energy released by meteors and impacts is substantially non-ionizing.
And the processes involved in the release of energy are completely
different.

As an aside, some meteors are detected by instruments that are designed to
record nuclear blasts. Those instruments are normally calibrated with energy
units in tons of TNT. Depending on whether energy data is presented in
joules or in tons of TNT, you can sometimes guess what the monitoring agency
was really looking for <g>.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory