[meteorite-list] Huge Fireball: Possible First Meteorite Fall of 2011

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Jan 13 10:07:22 EST 2011

>>Now I have never
> seen a fire  ball so I am not sure how they look in the sky
> and move, but for it to  be heard in NC from some reports I
> have to assume the more in the  eastern side of the sky when
> this event took place the other night? I  hope in the next
> few days we can get some reports from people that heard  the
> boom and state their location. All I have read in some
> blog  posts is that they heard a boom, but they forgot to
> tell the time and  their location. I wondering if a
> meteorite comes from this fireball, how  far would the
> meteorite be from the boom of the fall?<<

I  think some of the confusion might lie with the various times the sonic
booms  occurred after the visual meteor event was over. A fireball I
witnessed in 1993  produced a sonic boom for me 2 minutes and 43 seconds after its
initial  appearance. I'm sure the times would have varied even in minutes for
other  witnesses at other locations. This might be the source of apparent
multiple  meteors being reported.
GeoZay