[meteorite-list] Udei Station vs. NWA4024 winonaite types

tett tett at rogers.com
Sat Feb 26 06:39:20 EST 2011

List,

When stumbling across an ad for NWA4024 I saw pictures of the meteorite
and immediately thought how similar it looks to Udei Station.  Comparing
the pics of NWA4024 and my slices of Udei Station reveal very similar
compositions.  However, NWA4024 is classiifed as a winonite where as
Udei Station is classified as an IAB iron.

Further research shows that it is likely Udei Station and other IAB
irons along with Winonites come from the same parent body.   My question
is, what is the dividing line between Winonites and IAB's?  How does one
decide which group the meteorite should fall?  Is it %Fe?

Thanks for any help and

Cheers!

Mike Tettenborn