[meteorite-list] OT_ Irene

MexicoDoug mexicodoug at aim.com
Sat Aug 27 18:44:13 EDT 2011

Yes Hurricane Andrew was 1992 !

Some folks weren't as lucky as Mike and its strange how an intense
storm like Andrew can leave people with a romantic feeling in many such
ways.  I bet this is related to the feelings of wonder associated with
meteorites.

In my parents' case, our house was right under the point of first
landfall and took a direct hit of the category 5 hurricane which showed
no mercy.  Andrew removed the roof like an easy-open can of sardines.
Mom and dad took refuge in the bathroom, and I was on a plane as it was
happening and arrived on the dreadful ground zero driving through a
morass, within hours from Boston, with a camping stove and lots of
lobsters and beer, and some water, of course.  It was something they
never forgot.

The house was completely trashed, 22,500 gallon concrete pool errupted
2 meters out of the ground, for example.  Changed life a bit since my
parent came to live with me for two years after Andrew, before they
were back on their feet.  Attached is a photo of the aftermath from a
personal point of view, Dad snapped this as I cleaned up one of the
seventeen large pine trees Andrew snapped with Tunguska force amongst
all the rubble.

http://www.diogenite.com/andrew.jpg

Kindest wishes
Doug